Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 3 — Your parents

30 Day Letter Challenge
Day 3 — Your parents

So I'm discovering that this really is a challenge. Writing letters is not as easy as it might seem.

Marm and Fajah,
I'm glad that I get the chance to live near you guys. You get to see your grandkids grow up, and I get to come visit. And occasionally I get can you guys to visit us, too. I'm happy that you don't hate each other, and that I didn't end up with two parents fighting and me in the middle.

You guys are very different. If you would have told me 10 years ago that you would turn out to live the lives you do now, I would have laughed. Sometimes I feel like you guys are the kids, and I'm the adult. I think you both got a chance to go back and do the things you feel like you missed out on earlier in life, which is good and bad. Dad, you get to ride a Harley and go camping and spend time with your friends. Mom, you get to go out and adventure, going to Leavenworth, Reno, out to dinner or a movie, with someone who shares your interests. All that stuff is fine, but you are different people than you used to be, that's for sure. You also both live life a little more dangerously than I ever thought you would.

Mom, I want you to take care of yourself so you will be there for me. I love spending time with you, and I wish I could do it more. Being at your house makes me happy. It feels like a home. I'm so thankful that we have a good relationship. I have a lot of friends who do not speak to their mothers. I'm lucky to have you for a mom. Henry loves you too...he has spent the past few weeks asking, "Go to Gramma's house? See Gramma and John?"

Dad...ditto, basically. I worry about you, and I want you to be around for me for as long as possible. I like spending time with you, we always have fun, but your house itself makes me feel bummed. That being said, I'm glad we can always talk, and that we get to go camping and thrifting and make good food together. Henry loves you, he asks to go to your house all the time. I think you have a special bond with him, and that makes me smile.

Mom and Dad, I love both of you guys so much. I am so, so lucky and thankful to have you guys close by and in my life. I wish we got to spend more time together. Mom, I wish you could come visit us more. Dad, I wish your house didn't drive my allergies crazy. I hope we can afford to make the drive down there more often to see you. Love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment